Everyone tells me I’m nuts to try to make my own cake, but damnit, I’m determined. I’m trying out a few different cakes and even though I just started, this may be the winner. Not only was this cake insanely easy to make, but it also rose perfectly. (I get a kick out of stuff like that..seriously turn the oven light on and watch it)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose sifted flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp double acting baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 whole eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Prepare pans by using baking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine flour, salt, sugar, & baking powder with a hand whisk. Add remaining ingredients and mix with the mixer on low speed. Increase speed to medium once most of the dry ingredients are moistened and mix for 2 minutes until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325° F until the center of each cake is done. You can test by inserting a toothpick in the center- when it comes out clean, the cake is done. Bake for 25-30 minutes for the 9” pan.
Even if you’re not making a wedding cake, this would make an excellent dessert for a Summer party, especially with a big pile of berries on top.