For the cake
- yellow cake mix
- substituted egg with yolk to just egg white
- substitute liquid in mix instructions with apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- For the cinnamon-cream cheese frosting
- 1 (4-ounce) block low fat cream cheese, softened – or –
- 1 (4-ounce) block tofu cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons margarine from a tub
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the garnish
- 1/4 apple, slice
Bake batter per cakebox instructions. To make the cupcakes healthier, substituting liquid for apple cider and eggs with yolk to egg whites only. For additional flavor, add cinnamon.
In the small bowl beat the cream cheese, margarine, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth and creamy, 4 – 5 minutes.
Top each cupcake with a dollop of frosting. Garnish with a slice of apple.