- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 cup canola oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whipped cream (to garnish)
- 1 cup caramel sauce (to garnish)
Heat oil to 350 in a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat.
Using a 4 inch ring cutter cut out circle from the tortillas.
Carefully frying one at a time, use a pair of metal tongs to fry the tortillas. Use the tongs to hold down the tortilla in the oil to create a taco shell shape. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Gently coat cooked tortillas in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples, sugars and cinnamon. Allow to cook until apples begin to slightly break down.
Sprinkle in cornstarch and continue to cook until the mixture has thickened.
To assemble tacos, stuff with apple pie filling, top with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.