Few thing smell better then fresh homemade bread in the kitchen. A smell quick to bring back emotions and memories, almost as if Grandma herself was standing at the counter wearing an old ragged apron.
I love the simplicity of this recipe. With the bread machine doing the majority of the work, it really only takes about 5 minutes of hands on time. Which makes the bread machine worth its weight in gold.
Best Ever Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- 1 1/3 cup warm raw milk or whey or coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil or grass-fed butter *melted
- 3 ½ cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ Teaspoon yeast
If using a bread machine
- Place the milkwhey, butter and honey in a heat safe Pyrex and warm in the microwave for 40 seconds (not to hot! You don't want to kill your yeast) or just enough to melt the butter. *( Alternatively you could do this on the stove top in a sauce pan.)
- Pour the warm wet ingredients into the bread machine bowl, layer the dry in the order giving.
- Turn on your bread machine and set to; 3 pound loaf and Whole Wheat.
- Close the lid, press start and wait for the most delicious smell ever.
- **IF ONLY USING A BREAD MACHINE TO RISE AND KNEAD THE BREAD .. I personally do not like the taste of bread cooked in a bread machine but I also don’t have time to knead and rise the dough either, so I use the bread machine as the workhorse. This allows me to make several batches at once. When one loaf is done kneading, I pull it out and allow it to finish rising on the counter. Then I start another batch. … INSTRUCTIONS. Complete steps 1-3. Then adjust your machine setting to Dough. This should take roughly 90 minutes. When the machine is done kneading and heating take the dough out and knead it on a well floured counter. Place in a greased/floured bread pan covering it with a flour sack for about 45 minute until it doubles in size. Preheat oven to 350. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes on the middle rack, placing a pan of water on the bottom rack; This helps keep the bread moist.*Tip.. if you have extra whey from cheese making, not only is this recipe a great way to use it up but it is also makes the bread so fabulous and fluffy!! Simply substitute the milk for 1 1/3 cups warm whey.
NO BREAD MACHINE INSTRUCTIONS..
- If you don’t have a bread machine and would like to bake this bread by hand, the instruction as follows. In a large glass mixing bowl, combine warm wheymilk, honey and melted butter together. Whisk well. Set aside. In a stand mixer combine dry ingredients. Mix well. Switch to the dough hook. Slowly add in wet mixture. Mix on low until just combines, then increase speed to medium for 5 minutes.
- Move the ball of dough into a well buttered bowl, cover with a flour sack and allow it to double in size. Punch down the dough and knead it for 5 minutes. Form a loaf and place into a buttered floured loaf pan. I prefer THIS one. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Let the dough raise once again. Once it has doubled, bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the bread is cool, slice and wrap to freeze. This bread freezes excellent and thaws quickly.Thats it. Delicious. Homemade sandwich bread. Did I mention that it freezes super awesome? Because it does!