Breakfast is big in our house. I think the majority of us would eat breakfast for every meal if it was socially acceptable. That said, I’ve been trying to pack in more of the healthy stuff during the early hours when we all seem to eat the most. I’ve experimented with various “healthy” breakfast muffins/cookies/etc and, for the most part, the picky panel of taste testers know what I’m up to. Either the taste, texture, or both left something to be desired.
After some determination and playing around with lots of variations, though, we came up with these little breakfast biscuits that have become a quick, healthy, filling staple in the mornings. My boys say that they’re like a cross between a scone and a biscuit. A little sweet, a little savory, and not too dry or crumbly. When you see the ingredients you’ll understand why this is so exciting. No refined sugar, no grains, no dairy, and full of protein and fiber. And the honey butter is a super easy way to take it to that next level of comfort food.
Blueberry Breakfast Biscuits With Honey Butter
- 3 cups almond meal flour from blanched almonds
- 1/2 sea salt fine grain
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance soy-free natural buttery spread make sure it’s very cold- just out of the fridge
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp local honey
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Dairy free honey butter:
- 1 Tbsp Earth Balance Soy Free Natural Buttery Spread
- 1 tsp local honey
- small pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, blend together almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Using a pastry cutter, add in the Earth Balance spread until pea-sized crumbs are formed and evenly distributed throughout the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Slowly add to the dry ingredients a little at a time, while folding it in as you go. It should form a wet, chunky dough. Add in the blueberries and gently fold in with a spatula until they’re evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Take a handful of dough and shape it into a round disc, about 1 inch thick and about 4 inches in diameter. Place it on a parchment lined baking sheet. There should be enough dough for about 6 evenly sized biscuits.
- Put parchment-lined baking sheet with biscuits into preheated oven and set timer for 18 minutes. Biscuits are done when they are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Could take 18-25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy! These are great in the freezer as well… just stack in a freezer-safe container with sheets of parchment paper in between. Warm up in oven or microwave for a fast, wholesome breakfast treat.
Dairy free honey butter:
- In a small ramekin or bowl, use a fork or small whisk to blend together the Earth Balance, salt, and honey until creamy. It may need to be put back in the refrigerator for a bit to firm up.
- Serve alongside your warm breakfast biscuit and enjoy!