For the brownies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10x1-inch and set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine water, butter, and cocoa powder. Stir constantly and bring to a boil, then immediately remove from heat. Add the cocoa mixture to the flour mixture by beating with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat on high for 1 minute. Pour batter into the greased baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes for the 15x10x1-inch pan. Start checking on the brownie at 20 minutes by pressing a finger gently on the center of the brownie. If it bounces back, it is done. You can also test by sticking a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder, and buttermilk. Bring mixture to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high until smooth.
- Pour warm Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting over the warm brownies, spreading evenly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack before cutting it into bars.
- I’ve missed you beautiful people these past few months. I promise I won’t stay away this long ever again. One request: if you make these, put your hair in pigtails first.