- 8 ounces of uncooked multigrain penne pasta.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
- ⅛ tsp of kosher salt.
- 2 ounces of grated pecorino Romano cheese.
- 2 quarts of water.
- 1 pound of trimmed and coarsely chopped broccoli rabe.
- 2 (3 ounce) smoked chicken sausages each diagonally cut into 8 pieces.
- 1 ½ tbsps of fresh lemon juice.
In a large saucepan, bring to a boil the 2 quarts of water and cook the pasta for 7 minutes then add the broccoli rabe and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain and reserve ⅔ cup of the broth. Keep the pasta and broccoli warm.
Over medium heat, heat a large skillet coat with the oil and cook the sausage for 6 minutes stirring often.
Pour the reserved water over the sausage, add the pasta mixture, pepper and salt and bring to a boil, it takes about 2 minutes.
Pour in the juice and stir to combine then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Simple,easy and yummy! I love crazy recipes, and this is one of them! The pasta and the broccoli rabe go perfectly with the sausage and lemon juice! Give it a shot, you won’t regret it.