This perfectly creamy, crunchy coleslaw is delicious with grilled burgers, hot dogs or any type of bbq. For a more colorful slaw, add red cabbage to the mix.
You might think that coleslaw is just a rather mundane side affair that you just take for granted but wouldn’t miss much if it wasn’t there. But, it wasn’t always this way. In fact, going far back in time to the Roman Empire, the ancient Romans served up what must have been a tasty dish of cabbage, eggs, vinegar, and spices.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 2 1/2-pound head of green cabbage-quartered, cored, and shredded (12 cups)
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
In a very large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar, mustard and celery seeds and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and carrots and toss to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until slightly chilled, about 30 minutes. Toss the coleslaw again and serve.
Tip: The coleslaw can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.