- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash hot sauce, or to taste
Combine pinto beans, tomatoes with green chile peppers, ham, cilantro, red onion, garlic, black pepper, and hot sauce in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Bacon and/or sausage can be added to make a heartier version.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon minced garlic from the jar for fresh garlic cloves if desired.