Every time I prepare this dish, I’m taken back to the cozy dinners at my grandmother’s house. She used to have a small garden at the back of her home where she grew the freshest of cabbages. The aroma of fried cabbage wafting from her kitchen was our signal that a hearty, delicious meal was almost ready. My neighbors, a lovely elderly couple, often mentioned how this dish reminded them of their childhood days. Their stories intertwined with flavors, memories, and laughter, always brought us closer. This recipe is not just food for the stomach but food for the soul, connecting generations.
My friend Sarah, who lived two doors down, was always the first to arrive whenever I made this dish. Over time, it became our little tradition. We’d chat, reminiscing about the old days, while waiting eagerly for the cabbage to finish cooking. To me, this dish is more than just ingredients coming together; it’s about memories, shared moments, and the warmth of gathering around a meal.
How to Prepare Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion and Garlic
Ingredients for Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion and Garlic
- 6 chunks of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 robust onion, finely diced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 fresh cabbage head, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of salt, adjust as per preference
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion essence
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic essence
- A pinch of paprika for that extra kick
Directions for Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion and Garlic
- Ensure all ingredients are within reach.
- In a spacious pot, cook bacon until it turns golden and crispy, roughly around 10 minutes on a medium-high flame.
- Mix in the onions and garlic, and sauté until the onions have a beautiful caramel shade, typically around 10 minutes.
- Without delay, add the sliced cabbage, stirring continuously for another 10 minutes.
- Infuse with salt, pepper, onion essence, garlic essence, and a sprinkle of paprika. Turn down the flame to low, seal the pot with a lid, and let it simmer. Stir occasionally and let the magic happen for about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm and relish every bite!
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I serve alongside this dish?
This flavorful cabbage dish pairs wonderfully with roast meats, mashed potatoes, or even a simple piece of crusty bread. It’s versatile enough to complement a wide range of main courses.
Can I use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon?
Of course! Turkey bacon can be a healthier alternative. It might alter the taste slightly, but the overall essence of the dish will remain intact.
How can I store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. They should be consumed within 3 days for the best flavor.
Is it possible to make this dish vegetarian?
Yes, you can skip the bacon or use a vegetarian bacon substitute. Adjust the flavors accordingly, perhaps by adding a splash of soy sauce for depth.
How can I adjust the spice levels?
You can tweak the black pepper and paprika levels or even add a bit of chili powder if you prefer a spicier kick to your cabbage.
Can I use pre-chopped store-bought cabbage?
While fresh cabbage is recommended for the best taste, using pre-chopped cabbage can save time and will still deliver a delightful dish.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion and Garlic
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large head cabbage cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Gather all ingredients.
- Place bacon in a large stockpot and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion caramelizes, about 10 minutes.
- Immediately stir in cabbage and continue to cook and stir another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes more.