..Advertisements.. CONTINUE READING BELOW
Ah, comfort food. There truly isn’t much better than potatoes with onions. If you’re like my husband (and I), you like your potatoes crispy on the outside, soft in the middle. So if you have a big family to feed, this recipe is a must. You can easily double or triple it and freeze for later. It tastes just as good heated up from the freezer.
Fried Potatoes & Onions
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- 5 tbsp butter
- 5 dash california style garlic salt w/ parsley
- 2 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Wash your potatoes thoroughly. Then take them and cut them in half. Then take the halfed potato and cut it longways down the middle. Then begin slicing it along the width into what would look like little triangle shapes into your desired thickness. (NOTE: Remember the thicker than you cut them the longer they will take to cook, but you don't want to cut them so thin that they cook up really crispy like potato chips.)
- Next begin by cutting the ends of the onion and off. Peel the first layer of the paper like peel/outer-skin off of the onion. Then take the onion and slice it in half width ways. Now with the round side up and the flat portion on your cutting board ,begin cutting at an angle starting from the end into Julienned slices. (NOTE: The thickness should be about an 1/8 of an inch) repeat this step with the other piece of the onion.
- Heat large deep skillet/ or WOK over medium heat and add/melt half or your butter. Once the butter is melted begin sauteeing your onions. Stir frequently and cook until they are almost fully cooked and a bit translucent. Once they are cooked remove them and place them in a bowl to be used later. If you are handy with a WOK you can use it to flip/stir your onions.
- Now add the remaining butter to the skillet until melted. Then add in your potatoes ,pepper ,and garlic salt.
- Stir potatoes frequently/ or if using a WOK flip them frequently! Once the potatoes are pretty tender and almost cooked thoroughly ,take and add in the sauteed onions from the bowl that you cooked earlier. Once the onions are added keep stirring and cook an additional 10 minutes until everything is cooked thoroughly. If you like your potatoes a little crispy you can stop stirring and let the bottoms of the potatoes brown but make sure to be careful not to burn them.
- The last step is to remove from heat and place on a plate with a paper towel to absorb some of the grease and butter. Once they have cooled a bit and drained you can eat no ketchup needed! Add more pepper garlic salt if needed to enhance flavor!
...Advertisements... CONTINUE READING BELOW