Cornbread is so hearty and satisfying, especially when paired with something else delicious. Comfort food for the chilly weather ahead, this savory southwest cornbread offers a tasty combination of chile, cilantro and cheddar cheese. Come to think of it, corn in general is just damn tasty and something everyone seems to like. So it makes sense that I’ve never met a single person who would turn down a warm hunk of cornbread.
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal preferably coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup sugar more like 1/3 cup if you like it a bit sweet, like me
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 small jalapeno finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Preheat to 425 F. Spray a 10″ round springform or 9″x9″ square baking pan with oil.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the eggs, milk, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer until just smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir in jalapeno, corn, Cheddar, and cilantro.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.