- 8 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup store bought matzo meal
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (I used Egg Beaters)
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a medium bowl whisk the matzo meal, oil and water in with the egg substitute. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large soup pot, bring broth to a boil. Add salt, pepper, carrot, celery, parsley and onion; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gently roll the chilled matzo dough into 8 medium sized balls, dropping them into the simmering broth as you work. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid: the broth must simmer rapidly to allow the matzo balls to expand properly.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve.
Cooking time (duration): 60
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 1/4 cup broth and 1 Matzo Ball
PER SERVING: 112 calories; 2g fat; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber