- 2 medium green sweet peppers, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 6 dried regular or whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 15 ounce container (3/4 cup) light ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup soft goat cheese or finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups purchased light or low-fat tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1/2 recipe cooked Mediterranean Meatballs (24)
- Shredded fresh basil or small fresh basil or oregano leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place sweet pepper quarters, cut sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Roast, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until pepper quarters are charred. Wrap in the foil; let stand for 20 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, peel skins from pepper quarters. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl, stir together 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta cheese, and the goat cheese or Parmesan cheese; set aside.
3. To assemble, spread 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer two of the cooked noodles in the dish. Arrange meatballs in a single layer on top of noodles in dish. Add two more of the cooked noodles. Top with the ricotta cheese mixture, spreading evenly. Arrange sweet pepper pieces over ricotta mixture. Top with the remaining cooked noodles. Spread the remaining pasta sauce over noodles.
4. Bake, covered, for 50 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh herbs. Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Info Per Serving: Calories 263; Sat. Fat 3.6g; Sodium 467mg;
Carbs 22g; Fiber 2g; Protein 23g