This is a great meatloaf recipe. The mushroom sauce is the best. I have doubled the recipe, split it and and will freeze the two loaves for future meals. I can defrost a meatloaf the night before to save a little time the next day. I got this recipe out of the Cuisine At Home magazine and is always asked for the recipe by friends.
The skinny for 1 serving, 214 calories, 5 grams of fat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
- 1 pound (96%) extra lean ground beef, see shopping tip
- 1½ slices whole wheat bread, remove crusts (I used Milton’s Multigrain bread)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Topping:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard or yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add the ground beef.
3. To make bread crumbs: remove crust, break up bread and add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs.
4. To the beef, add the bread crumbs, onions, egg whites, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste. Using your hands, mix together all the ingredients.
5. Place the meat mixture on the baking sheet and free form a loaf by hand. It should be about 12”x4.”
6. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Spread all over the top of the meatloaf.
6. Bake for 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 10 slices (2 slices for each serving)
214 calories, 5g fat, 1.6g sat. fat, 48mg chol, 23g protein, 20g carbs, 2g fiber, 487mg sodium, 8g sugar