Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours 10 mins
- 32 oz. shredded hash brown potatoes
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped green onion, plus extra for topping
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced carrots (optional)
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1½ tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 3 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (plus extra for topping)
- ¼ cup crisp bacon bits, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- cracked pepper for topping (optional)
- sour cream for topping (optional)
In a 3-4 quart crock pot add water, broth, onion, green onion, carrot, salt, pepper, and potatoes.
Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours until potatoes are tender.
Add flour to heavy cream and stir until smooth. Add cream mixture to crock pot and cook on high for 20-30 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Cook on low for 10-15 minutes then turn to “keep warm” setting.
When ready to serve, sprinkle crumbled bacon, fresh chive, optional cracked pepper, and a little green onion over each bowl of soup and serve warm.