Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes.
Cooking Time 6-8 hours
Serves: 6-7 people
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5 – 2#)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound smoked polish sausage, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 large onion, coarsely diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained (large white beans)
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and place the thighs in a non-stick pan. Brown the chicken over medium heat about 3-4 minutes per side or until nicely browned.
Place the browned chicken in a slow cooker.
Return the same pan to the burner and add the polish sausage.
Brown the sausage about 1-2 minutes per side.
Transfer the browned sausage to the slow cooker as well, discarding any excess grease from the pan. Add the onions and garlic, sautéing 1-2 minutes on medium-low or until softened.
Add the flour and stir well. Drain the liquid from the diced tomatoes into the pan with the onions and stir well. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until liquid is absorbed or reduced.
Add the diced tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
Pour this tomato mixture over the chicken and sausage in the slow cooker along with the drained cannellini beans and stir.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.