- 1 ½ lb beef roast (rump, chuck, shoulder roasts), cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 onions, cut into eights
- 4 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 ½ lbs waxy potatoes (Red or Yukon Gold), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 c water
Preheat a large skillet over high heat. Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper and add them to the hot pan. Sear the meat on all sides, 2-3 minutes. Transfer meat pieces to slow cooker.
Add the onion pieces to the skillet. Sear them over high heat for 1-2 minutes, until they start to develop dark, golden marks. Add the onions to the slow cooker along with the carrots, potatoes, and thyme.
Pour 1 cup of water into the hot skillet to deglaze. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a spatula to pick up any stuck bits. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker along with the remaining water.
Cook the stew on high heat for 4-5 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
Taste before serving and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
Serve hot with crusty bread.