Cook Time : 8Hrs
Serves : 4
- 1 cup dried Northern beans, rinsed and picked over NOTE: You must soak the beans overnight.
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped, (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped, (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups homemade or low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 6 ounces Fresh Express Baby Spinach (about 2 cups packed)
- 6 ounces light kielbasa or smoked sausage, diced
Place the dried beans in the slow cooker and add 1 quart water. Cover and let soak overnight. (Do not turn on the slow cooker.)
In the morning, drain and rinse the beans
Return the beans to the slow cooker, along with the carrots, onion, garlic, spices, and stock, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the beans are tender.
About 20 minutes before dinnertime, use an immersion blender to puree half the soup. (Or transfer to a blender, and leave the cap off the top but cover with a dishtowel to avoid splatters. This will allow steam to escape as you puree the soup. Return the pureed soup to the slow cooker.)
Add the tomatoes, spinach, and sausage to the slow cooker. Replace lid and cook on high for 20 minutes.
Ladle two cups into each bowl. Serve with crusty whole-wheat bread or place a scoop of mashed potatoes in the bottom of each bowl.