- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 1/2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon stick, and water to cover in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are barely tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick, and strain potatoes. Allow potatoes to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch pie plate, baking dish, or casserole dish of your choice.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt for crust in a mixing bowl. Cut cold butter into the mixture until crumbly. Stir in egg and vanilla.
Combine warm potatoes, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cornstarch in a separate bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. Spoon filling into the prepared pie plate and spoon crust mixture over top.
Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 35 minutes.