- 4 medium chicken breast halves, skinned, boned, and cut into 1″ strips*
- 1 can (14 oz.) tomatoes, cut up**
- 1 cup low-sodium chili sauce
- 1-1/2 cups green peppers, chopped (1 large)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray as needed
1.Spray a deep skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.
2.Cook chicken in a hot skillet, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
3.Add tomatoes and their juice, low-sodium chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
4.Serve over hot cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
* You can substitute 1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips.
** To cut back on sodium, try low sodium canned tomatoes.
Yield: 4 servings–Serving Size: 1-1/2 cup.
- Calories 255.4
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 77.0 mg
- Sodium 652.4 mg
- Potassium 876.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 33.3 g