Ayurveda recommends morning rituals that work to align the body with nature’s rhythms, balance the doshas and foster self-esteem and self-discipline. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is one important ritual that provides tremendous benefits to your overall health.
Lemon juice provides a high amount of Vitamin C. One lemon gives 30.7 mg Vitamin C, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The recommended daily amount is 75 mg for women and 90 mg for men. People who consume more Vitamin C have more efficient digestive systems than people who don’t.
7 Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water in the Morning
1. Improves Digestion: Lemon juice helps loosen and flush out toxins from the digestive tract. Lemon juice can help ease indigestion, heartburn, and bloating. It also helps to move your bowels in the morning, hydrate your colon, and stimulate bile production.
2. Boosts Immunity: Lemon juice is rich in Vitamin C, which helps strengthen the immune system and fight cold and flu.
3. Boosts Energy: Lemon water gives you an instant boost of energy and improves your mood right at the start of your day.
4. Assists Weight Loss: Although lemon water on its own is no weight loss miracle, it can definitely help you achieve faster and long term results. Lemon water is satiating, helping you overcome the urge to snack in between meals.
5. Is Antibacterial and Antiviral: Lemons have antibacterial and antiviral properties. They help fight the flu, cold, and soothe a sore throat.
6. Boosts Brain Power: The high levels of potassium and magnesium in lemon water are beneficial for brain and nerve health. Lemon water can give you the boost you need to fight depression and stress.
7. Fights cancer: Lemon’s antioxidants also reduce the risk of several types of cancer.