This chocolate cake uses butter for flavor and a bit of oil for a never-fail moist crumb, ideal for celebrations. With more of a milk chocolate, rather than dark chocolate flavor, it’s perfect for kids.
Our guarantee: This cake will be tender and moist. It makes a good layer cake, cupcakes, or eat-out-of-the-pan cake, with a fine crumb that you can pick up with the back of your fork.
- 9 1/2 ounces King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 ounces unsweetened cocoa, natural or Dutch-process
- 12 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 ounces vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces milk
- 4 ounces coffee or water
- 4 large eggs