Some dishes have the magical power to transport us back in time. The aroma, the texture, and the very first bite can evoke vivid memories of family gatherings, holidays, and shared moments. Broccoli Chicken Divan is one such dish for me. My grandmother used to prepare it for family dinners, and the taste always brings back memories of those wonderful evenings spent at her home, laughing and sharing stories.
Recently, my neighbors invited us over for a potluck. I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to reintroduce this classic delight. The room filled with exclamations of nostalgia as my friends tasted the casserole. Many shared their own memories related to this dish, and just like that, we were all connected through a simple recipe and shared experiences.
How to Prepare Broccoli Chicken Divan
Ingredients for Broccoli Chicken Divan
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz) broccoli cream soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs, dry
- 1 tbsp melted butter
Directions for Broccoli Chicken Divan
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a saucepan, immerse broccoli in water and bring to a boil. Cook until it softens, approximately 5 minutes. Once done, drain the water.
- Transfer the broccoli to a 9-inch baking dish, and layer the diced chicken over it.
- In a separate mixing bowl, blend the broccoli cream soup with milk and then pour this mixture over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Garnish with grated Cheddar cheese. Combine the dry bread crumbs with melted butter and spread over the cheese layer.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake until it turns bubbly with a crisp golden-brown crust, which should take around 15 minutes.
What Pairs Well with Broccoli Chicken Divan?
This creamy and savory casserole is complemented wonderfully by a range of side dishes. Consider serving with a zesty roasted potato dish or even a Southern-inspired dirty rice. To balance the rich flavors, a refreshing summer salad is an excellent choice.
Is it Possible to Freeze Broccoli Chicken Divan?
Absolutely! If you have any leftovers, you can freeze your Broccoli Chicken Divan for up to three months. To ensure freshness, store it in a shallow, sealed container. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat in the oven at 350°F.
Where Did Chicken Divan Originate?
The name ‘Divan’ is traced back to the Divan Parisien Restaurant. It was here, during the early 20th century, that this beloved casserole was birthed.
What Variations Can I Add to This Recipe?
While the classic recipe is a hit on its own, feel free to add ingredients like mushrooms, bell peppers, or even almonds for added crunch and flavor.
Can I Use Different Types of Cheese?
Of course! While Cheddar is traditional, you can experiment with Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, or even Gouda for a twist on the original.
What if I Don’t Have Cream of Broccoli Soup?
No worries! Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup can be suitable alternatives. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Broccoli Chicken Divan
- 1 pound chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken meat
- 1 10 1/2 ounce can condensed cream of broccoli soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place broccoli in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Place the cooked broccoli in a 9 inch pie plate. Top with the chicken. In a bowl, mix the soup and milk, and pour over the chicken. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Mix the melted butter with the bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.