Last summer, I had the pleasure of hosting a family reunion at my home. Cousins, aunts, uncles, and even some long-lost friends showed up. With everyone’s buzzing excitement and countless stories shared, I needed a dish that was not only delicious but would also cater to a large group. That’s when I remembered my grandmother’s famous Buffalo Chicken Dip. A recipe passed down through generations, this dip was always the center of attention at family gatherings. Just the right amount of spice paired with creamy goodness – an absolute hit!
Recently, I shared this dip with my neighbors during a weekend potluck. To my surprise, they thought it was store-bought! They were even more amazed when I mentioned it was a family recipe. So here I am, sharing this secret delicacy with all of you.
How to Prepare Buffalo Chicken Dip
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cans of chunky chicken (10 ounces each), drained
- 3/4 cup of spicy pepper sauce (I personally love Frank’s RedHot®)
- 2 packs of softened cream cheese (8 ounces each)
- 1 cup of tangy ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded Cheddar for that cheesy delight
- Fresh celery sticks, sliced into 4-inch lengths
- An 8-ounce pack of chicken-flavored crackers (or your choice)
Directions for Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Firstly, have all your ingredients ready.
- In a skillet, combine chicken and spicy pepper sauce. Heat it over medium setting until warmed, which takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Introduce the cream cheese and ranch dressing to the skillet. Stir continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and warm, another 3-5 minutes.
- Mix in half of the shredded Cheddar cheese, blending well. Once done, shift this mixture to your slow cooker and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cover and set your slow cooker to Low. Wait for the dip to become hot and bubbling, approximately 35 minutes.
- Serve this mouth-watering dip with crisp celery sticks and savory crackers. Enjoy!
How should I store the leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Once cooled, place the dip in a shallow container with an airtight lid. Store in the fridge and consume within a week. To reheat, do so gently on the stovetop or use short intervals in the microwave.
Can I freeze this dip for later?
Yes, the dip can be frozen for up to three months. However, note that the texture may alter slightly due to the cream cheese and ranch dressing. Although the flavor remains delectable, the consistency may vary post-thawing.
How to freeze the Buffalo Chicken Dip properly?
Allow the dip to cool. Spread it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover, and freeze until solid. Slice the frozen dip into portions and transfer to freezer bags or containers. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge, stir thoroughly, and reheat gently.
Can I use a different type of chicken?
Absolutely! While this recipe uses canned chicken for convenience, feel free to substitute with rotisserie chicken or even freshly shredded chicken breasts. Adjust to your liking!
Is it possible to adjust the spiciness of the dip?
Of course! The spicy pepper sauce quantity can be modified to suit your taste. If you prefer a milder dip, reduce the amount. For those who love extra heat, feel free to add more!
Any suggestions for alternative dippers apart from celery and crackers?
Get creative! Carrot sticks, bell pepper slices, or even toasted bread can be fantastic accompaniments to this dip. Find what delights your taste buds the most!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 10 ounce cans chunk chicken, drained
- 3/4 cup hot pepper sauce such as Frank's RedHot®
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch celery cut into 4-inch pieces
- 1 8 ounce box chicken-flavored crackers
- Gather all ingredients.
- Heat chicken and hot pepper sauce in a skillet over medium heat until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook and stir until well blended and warm, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1/2 of the Cheddar cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
- Cover and cook on Low until dip is hot and bubbly, about 35 minutes.
- Serve with celery sticks and crackers.