I’ve been wanting to try this one for some time now. I came across it on Alexandra’s Kitchen. I modified it a little and I think it turned out great. It’s very light and crumbly and being a morning coffee drinker, goes excellent with a nice hot cup. Actually it’s yummy any time of the day. After eating one piece, it wasn’t long after that I found myself cutting another piece! I had a whole mess of blueberries in my freezer having picked some from my parent’s blueberry bush back in Louisiana a while back. Frozen or fresh, it doesn’t really make a difference!
Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkling on top
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
- Add egg and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Toss blueberries with 1/4 cup of of the flour.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to batter, a little at a time, alternating with Buttermilk.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spray 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add batter to pan (batter will be thick).
- Sprinkle remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar on top of batter. Bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes or until middle has set.
Try not to eat the entire thing in one day. It won’t be easy!