This is a fairly inexpensive side dish. Takes about five minutes to prepare with a total of 45 minutes of baking time. Good southern recipe I found at Southern Plate. The original recipe calls for sharp cheddar but I used a cheddar/jack blend. Everyone enjoyed it, talk about a crowd pleaser. Here’s how mine turned out!
Baked Mac & Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Pepper to taste
- Add uncooked macaroni to a pot of water and boil until noodles are tender (careful not to overcook or noodles will be mushy).
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a small bowl add flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spray an oven safe baking dish with nonstick spray and add 1/2 of cooked macaroni. Sprinkle 1/2 of flour mixture on top of macaroni. Then top with 1/2 of the butter (the original recipe called for margarine but I love my real butter). Top with 1/2 of the cheese.
- Next layer… just repeat! Add rest of macaroni, sprinkle rest of flour mixture on top, add remaining butter and top with remaining cheese.
- Pour in milk, cover and bake at 350º for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot!