Paella is such a wonderful collection of various ingredients and what you include is entirely up to you. This paella recipe is a combination of calamari, chicken, and sausage for the main ingredients.
The mixture of flavors is awesome! It is a special meal and requires more work than a typical meal that you have during the week. I usually make paella on the weekends which is great because the whole family can enjoy the wonderful smells throughout the day.
Calamari, Chicken, and Sausage Paella
- 2 lbs cleaned medium-sized calamari
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 18 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 oz dry white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken legs cut at the joint yielding 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper
- 2/3 lb smoked sausage cut into 1/2 ” pieces
- 1/2 onion chopped
- pinch of saffron
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups of rice
- 3 1/2 cups liquid – calamari juice plus clam stock or water to equal 3 1/2 cups
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut into thirds
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pot for calamari.
- Add garlic and cook on medium heat until garlic has softened.
- Add red pepper flakes and tomato sauce.
- Add calamari to pot.
- Simmer covered stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until calamari is no longer tough.
- Strain the calamari and save the juice.
- Set both aside or refrigerate if you are cooking paella later.
- Combine olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Marinate chicken in it for at least 1/2 hour.
- Bake chicken in a foil covered pan at 375F for 50 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, debone and skin the chicken.
- Set chicken aside or refrigerate if you are cooking paella later.
- Discard skin and bones.
- Assembling Paella
- Heat oil in a dutch oven.
- Saute onions and smoked sausage at medium heat until onion is translucent and sausage is browned. Remove from pan.
- Add the rice to the dutch oven and cook the rice stirring until it is slightly browned.
- Add the 3 1/2 cups of liquid, add saffron, and stir.
- Add the calamari, chicken, sausage, onions, and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the peas and parsley and cook for another 10 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Let the paella sit off the heat covered for about 5 minutes and serve.