Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces and stems sliced
- 1 c. dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 c. vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and stems from Swiss chard. Cover and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cooked vegetable mixture, lentils, potatoes, broth, and soy sauce in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Stir to combine, cover, and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
Just before soup is finished cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place reserved chard leaves in boiling water and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and stir into soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.