- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) chilled butter, cut into small squares
- 1 Tbsp. cold water
- 4 lbs. Vidalia onions, cut into thin strips
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 3 cups (12 oz.) Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese – Traditional Cut
- 16 slices bacon, diced, cooked until crisp
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
Prepare dough by pulsing flour, 1 egg, 1 egg yolk and salt in a food processor. Add butter, piece by piece, pulsing until all is incorporated. Add water and pulse only until dough forms a ball. Remove; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.
Remove dough from refrigerator 30 minutes before assembling tarts.
Meanwhile, prepare filling by cooking onions in butter in 2 large skillets until tender and translucent. Cool. In a medium bowl, beat remaining eggs, egg yolks and cream together. Stir into onions; add cheese, bacon and chives.
Divide dough in half. Roll each portion out and fit in 10-inch tart pan. Prick bottom of dough with fork. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 7 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden brown. Remove from oven, add filling and bake 15 to 20 minutes more until egg mixture is set. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from tart pans. Cut into wedges.