These crispy and flavorful balls are a perfect appetizer or a snack option for both kids and adults. Packed with nutrients and bursting with cheesy goodness, they are sure to be a hit at any gathering. In this post, we will explore the recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Balls and provide you with all the information you need to make this delectable treat.
Why Choose Cheesy Broccoli Balls?
- Nutritional Benefits: Broccoli is a nutrient powerhouse, rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and fiber. By incorporating broccoli into the Cheesy Broccoli Balls, you’re adding a healthy dose of these essential nutrients to your diet.
- Flavorful Combination: The combination of broccoli and cheese creates a burst of flavor in every bite. The sharp Cheddar cheese complements the mild taste of broccoli, resulting in a savory and delightful snack.
- Versatility: Cheesy Broccoli Balls can be enjoyed in various ways. They can be served as an appetizer at parties, a snack for movie nights, or even as a side dish with a main course. Their versatility makes them a popular choice among both kids and adults.
- Easy to Make: The recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Balls is simple and doesn’t require any specialized cooking skills. With just a few ingredients and straightforward steps, you can whip up a batch of these delicious treats in no time.
Can I use fresh broccoli instead of frozen?
Yes, fresh broccoli can be used instead of frozen. However, make sure to blanch the fresh broccoli to achieve the desired tenderness before incorporating it into the cheese mixture.
Can I bake the Cheesy Broccoli Balls instead of deep frying?
Yes, if you prefer a healthier alternative, you can bake the Cheesy Broccoli Balls. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place the balls on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Absolutely! While the recipe calls for shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, you can experiment with different types of cheese based on your preference. Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or Gouda would work well in this recipe.
How can I store the leftovers?
If you have any leftover Cheesy Broccoli Balls, allow them to cool completely and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be kept for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply place them in a preheated oven or toaster oven until warmed through.
Cheesy Broccoli Balls
- 1 16 ounce package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 5 cups vegetable oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ½ cups dry bread crumbs
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Place broccoli in a medium saucepan with 1 cup boiling water. Return to a boil. Cook covered until firm but tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the Cheddar cheese. Mix in the broccoli. Allow the mixture to cool and thicken approximately 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Spread the mixture onto a large piece of wax paper.
- Form the broccoli cheese mixture into balls and roll in the bread crumb mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Deep fry the balls until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.