- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400°.
Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through allspice) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Place 12 muffin-cup liners in muffin cups, and coat liners with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.