..Advertisements.. CONTINUE READING BELOW
I make this because I love my husband. It’s his favorite dish. I also make it because it’s easy, and I can do it dairy-free with no problem at all. Oh yeah. One other reason: I make it because I love myself.
Chicken and Biscuits: Slow Cooker or Oven
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 chicken breasts roasted and diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 large carrots cut 1 inch on the diagonal
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cut in 1 inch on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter or dairy-free margarine
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 batch of your favorite biscuit mix/recipe
- Note: I use soymilk in my biscuits and they always turn out well.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Melt margarine in a pan and add onions. Saute over Medium-Low heat about 7 minutes until translucent. Add salt, several grinds of black pepper and stir in flour until it is all smooth and bubbly.
- In the meantime, turn your crock pot on LOW. Add chicken stock, carrots and potatoes. When onion roux is ready, stir it in as well. Cover and cook on LOW 4-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Make sure you check it periodically, especially after the 4 hour mark so your veggies don’t turn to mush. Stir, turn to WARM and add diced chicken and frozen peas.
- Preheat oven to biscuit-cooking heat. If you are so inclined, spray the top edges of your slow cooker. Drop biscuits dough in like dumplings. Place crock in the oven without the lid and bake for 15-20 minutes (usually about five minutes longer than recommended for cooking biscuits on a baking sheet).
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for at least ten minutes. Serve it up in bowls and enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix biscuit dough and set aside.
- Spray a 4 quart baking dish with Pam.
- Melt margarine in a large sauce pan and add onions, carrots and potatoes. Saute over Medium-Low heat about 7 minutes until onions are translucent. Add salt, several grinds of black pepper and stir in flour until it is all smooth and bubbly.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chicken and peas. Pour into baking dish. Drop biscuit dough on top. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top and cooked through. You may need to turn up the heat at the end to crisp up your biscuits if they require a much higher baking temperature. But if you want to be more certain that your veggies will be cooked, add the biscuits after baking the roux and veggies for 20 minutes at 375. Be sure to turn up the heat to your biscuit cooking recommendation.
...Advertisements... CONTINUE READING BELOW