- 1 1/8 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons mild green chiles, chopped
Preheat oven to 450º.
Prepare an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust
with 2 tablespoons of cornmeal.
Sift into a large bowl the remaining cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt
In another bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, cheese and chile,
then stir into the dry ingredients. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and place in
upper third of oven.
Bake 10 minutes or until dough is firm in center. Cut into 2 inch squares
Makes (16) 2″ Squares
Per serving: 83 Calories; 2g Total Fat; 2g Fiber; 4g Protein; 14g Carbs; 19mg Cholesterol;