- 2 (6 ounce) cans lump crab meat
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten, divided
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain, nonfat, Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice (from one lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Combine crab meat (no liquid), half the breadcrumbs, bell pepper, half the beaten eggs, celery, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, chives, and cilantro/parsley together and form 8 equal sized balls. Flatten into 3 to 4-inch disks and press to smooth the edges for each.
Place remaining beaten egg in one dish, remaining half cup breadcrumbs in another, and flour in another dish. Dip a crab cake into the flour to coat on top, bottom, and sides of crab cakes, then the egg, allowing any excess egg to drip off, and finally the breadcrumbs to coat on all sides.
Place a pan over medium heat with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Allow oil to warm until it is shimmering, about a minute.
Working in batches, place about 4 of the crab cakes in the pan, they should not be touching. Cook until crisp on the bottom, for about 3 to 4 minutes, and flip and cook on the other side for an additional 4 minutes until golden crisp. Place on paper towel lined plate. Repeat with second batch.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Top crab cakes with a dollop of sauce on each or serve it on the side.