- 7-8 fresh peaches – peeled (optional) sliced into chunks or
- 1 cup fresh berries (optional) – blackberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar; plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
For Biscuit topping :
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter; chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water (important)
Preheat oven to 350° In a large bowl, combine peaches, sugar, spices, salt, lemon juice,vanilla and cornstarch.
Toss to coat evenly, and gently fold in berries. Taste and adjust sugar, adding more, if berries are particularly tart.
Place the fruit only, in a greased 10 inch cast iron skillet, and heat over the stove over medium heat, until just bubbling and hot in the center about 7-9 minutes.
Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
Mix the melted butter into the flour and sugar and combine to form a crumbly dough
Pat handfuls of dough into palm-sized disks ¼- to ½-inch thick.
Add disks of the topping all over the top, overlapping a bit if you like, sprinkle crumbles of the remaining dough, into all the nooks and crannies, and place in the hot oven and bake until golden and crispy, about 45 minutes. (Check at 20-30 minutes to see if it’s getting too dark and if so, foil for a bit).