Grandma sure could bake some amazing desserts. Many of her recipes were passed down over the years, and are still cherished to this day. Since Grandma wasn’t concerned about making desserts healthy or skinny, we’ve come up with a healthier version of her classic, mouthwatering Coconut Cream Pie. We cut the sugar by half and added real shredded coconut, making it a still delicious but healthier version of Grandma’s coconut pie. Plus, there is only 1 tablespoon of butter for the entire filling!
- 1 c milk
- 1 c sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 c light cream
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pie crust.
- 8 oz whipped cream
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Bake pie crust according to directions on package and cool completely.
2. Place milk and light cream in a double boiler. Add sugar and bring to a boil.
3. Add 2 Tbsp. cold water to corn starch. Stir well.
4. In a bowl beat egg yolks until they are light. Add the corn starch mixture to the yolks. Mix well.
5. Add egg mixture to the milk mixture in the double boiler.
6. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
7. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and coconut. Stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
8. Pour into prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes or until set.