Who needs another Squash Casserole recipe, RAISE YOUR HAND!! **raises her hand** I am always looking for a good squash dish because I love squash & zucchini and it is just easy to put together and bake.
I know I have made this before but for some reason this recipe is great! But I have put squash, zucchini, onion and cheese together before? I don’t understand why this one is so different? Even one of the Guinea Pigs kept coming back for more and more and more….
The only thing I guess that was so big of a difference is the fact that this one has flour, milk and an egg yolk mixed in so it feels like a dressing/sauce kind of thing going on. Well of course that is going to make a big difference but I didn’t think it would make that big of a difference but it did! LOL
Anyway, going to use this recipe for Thanksgiving this year. I am sure everybody will love it. Hope you enjoy. Oh and once again this comes from my favorite site Just a Pinch (original recipe) and the Lightly Salted cook Wendy Pitts submitted this Blue Ribbon winning recipe.
- 1 stick salted or unsalted butter
- 1 lb yellow squash large dice
- 1 lb zucchini large dice
- 1 medium onion diced
- moderate pinch of salt & pepper
- 1½ c sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 c milk 2% (whole can be used)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- additional cheddar cheese topping
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter. Add squash, zucchini and onion; cook until crisp tender. Pour squash into a casserole dish; set aside to cool.
- To the slightly cooled squash, add Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper; stir.
- Mix together milk, egg yolk and flour; whisk until well blended. Pour milk mixture over squash; stir. Sprinkle with additional Cheddar cheese if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees about 45 minutes until hot and bubbly throughout.