My grandmother’s cherished Hamburger Dinner Casserole. With its simple yet delightful combination of ground beef, noodles, and a creamy cheese sauce, this recipe has been a family favorite since the 1940s. In this post, I’ll share with you the step-by-step process of making this classic dish, along with tips for variations and storage. Let’s dive into the rich flavors and heartwarming nostalgia of this timeless comfort food.
Hamburger Dinner Casserole The Ingredients
To prepare this old-fashioned ground beef casserole, you’ll need the following ingredients:
1. Ground Beef: Approximately one pound of ground beef serves as the foundation of this dish.
2. Tomato Sauce: Canned tomato sauce enhances the flavor and brings all the ingredients together.
3. Seasonings: White sugar, salt, and garlic salt are used to add depth and savory notes to the tomato sauce.
4. Pasta: Egg noodles work best for this recipe, but you can use any noodles you have on hand.
5. Sour Cream and Cream Cheese: These creamy ingredients lend richness and a delightful tang to the casserole.
6. Onion: Diced white onion elevates the flavor and adds texture to the dish.
7. Cheddar Cheese: Sprinkling shredded Cheddar cheese on top creates a decadent and flavorful finish.
How to Make Hamburger Dinner Casserole
Follow these simple steps to create a mouthwatering Hamburger Dinner Casserole:
1. Cook and Season the Ground Beef:
– Brown and crumble the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat.
– Drain and discard the grease.
– Mix in tomato sauce, sugar, garlic salt, and salt.
– Simmer the mixture until the flavors blend, then set it aside to cool.
2. Cook the Egg Noodles:
– Boil the egg noodles in lightly salted water until they are cooked but still firm.
– Drain the noodles in a colander and allow them to cool slightly.
3. Mix the Sour Cream and Cream Cheese:
– Combine the sour cream, cream cheese, and diced onion in a medium bowl until well-combined.
4. Assemble and Bake:
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
– Layer half of the cooked egg noodles in the dish, followed by half of the sour cream mixture and half of the ground beef mixture.
– Repeat the layers in the same order.
– Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over the top layer of beef.
– Bake the casserole until the cheese is melted and golden brown, usually about 25-30 minutes.
How to Store Hamburger Dinner Casserole
If you have any leftovers, follow these guidelines for storing and freezing your Hamburger Dinner Casserole:
– Place any leftover casserole in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
– Consume the leftovers within four days.
– Reheat in the microwave or oven until heated through.
– To freeze the casserole, use an aluminum casserole pan that can withstand freezing temperatures.
– Allow the casserole to cool completely before tightly covering the dish.
– Wrap the entire pan (including the cover) with one layer of storage wrap followed by one layer of foil.
– Label the package with the date and contents.
– The frozen casserole can be stored for up to three months.
– Thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Can I use different types of noodles for this casserole?
Absolutely! While the recipe suggests using egg noodles, you can substitute them with your preferred noodles, such as macaroni or penne.
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of Cheddar?
Yes, you can experiment with different cheeses based on your taste preferences. Monterey Jack or Mozzarella can be excellent alternatives that add their unique flavors to the casserole.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it before baking. This allows for easy preparation when you’re ready to serve. Just remember to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Can I add vegetables to the casserole?
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables to enhance the nutritional value and taste. Diced bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini can be great options to incorporate into the dish.
Can I use ground turkey instead of beef?
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef if you prefer a leaner protein option. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as ground turkey may require less cooking time than ground beef.
Remember, the beauty of this Hamburger Dinner Casserole recipe lies in its versatility, so don’t hesitate to personalize it to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Enjoy the comforting flavors of this classic dish, and create new memories around your dinner table.
Quick & Easy Hamburger Dinner Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8 ounce package egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 large white onion diced
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or more to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crumbly, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Mix the tomato sauce, white sugar, garlic salt, and salt into the cooked ground beef. Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Remove from heat, cover the skillet, and let it cool to room temperature.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the egg noodles and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are cooked through but still firm to the bite. This usually takes about 7 to 9 minutes. Drain the noodles.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the sour cream, softened cream cheese, and diced onion until well-combined.
- Begin layering the casserole dish. Start by adding half of the cooked egg noodles as the bottom layer. Then, spread half of the sour cream mixture over the noodles, followed by half of the ground beef mixture. Repeat the layers one more time.
- Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese evenly over the top layer of the casserole.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy the delicious flavors of this quick and easy Hamburger Dinner Casserole!