I love to plan meals based on what I find at the market or farmers market. This is the only way to enjoy meals with the freshest in season ingredients and you spend less money when you cook with ingredients that are on sale that week. I shop and plan at the same time. Once I see a sale item or a beautiful seasonal find at the farm I start planning a meal around it. It’s so much fun to shop this way. You never really know what you are going to have for dinner until the shopping and planning are done. It is so much more enjoyable than going in with a list!
Well, during cabbage season I found a beauty at a farm in the white mountains of New Hampshire. When you have a fresh product such as this you want to showcase it and do as little as possible to it so that you can savor the flavor of the ingredient. I started making this sautéed green cabbage recipe years ago in an effort to come up with another vegetable side dish we could have during the week that was fast and healthy. Even if you think you don’t like cabbage, this sautéed green cabbage recipe may surprise you.
Healthy Sauteed Green Cabbage
- 1/2 head of green cabbage thinly cut into long shreds
- 2 to 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon juice or to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add cabbage and saute at medium heat stirring occasionally until wilted and slightly browned but still has a bit of a bite.
- Add salt, pepper and lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.