Today, I’m sharing a recipe that’s been a staple in my family for over 50 years – Hot Fudge Pudding Cake. It’s my husband’s all-time favorite dessert, and I’m excited to share it with you.
This recipe holds a special place in my heart because it was first introduced to me at my grandpa’s funeral in 1968. Despite the somber occasion, the taste of this dessert was so incredible that it stuck with me all these years. And ever since that day, I’ve been making it for my loved ones.
This Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream. The dark fudge cake on top of the hot pudding creates a delectable and indulgent flavor. And the addition of toasted pecans adds a nice crunch to every bite. Trust me, this dessert is so rich and satisfying that you won’t be able to resist a second serving.
To make this dessert, start by combining flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, mix nonfat milk, lightly beaten egg, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Then pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add in the toasted pecans, pour the batter into an 8-by-8-inch baking dish, and pour the dissolved brown sugar and hot coffee mixture on top.
Bake the cake for around 25 minutes and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. You can enjoy it hot or warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
This recipe is perfect for any occasion – whether you’re looking for a comforting dessert on a cold winter night or a decadent treat to serve at a dinner party. Plus, it’s so easy to make that you’ll want to whip it up every chance you get.
Give this Hot Fudge Pudding Cake recipe a try and let me know what you think. I guarantee that it will become a staple in your family too. Happy baking!
Can I use a different type of flour for this recipe?
While the recipe calls for all-purpose flour, you can experiment with alternatives such as whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour. However, keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary slightly.
Can I substitute the hot coffee with another liquid?
Hot coffee adds a unique richness to the fudgy sauce. If you prefer, you can use hot water instead, but the coffee enhances the chocolate flavor and adds depth to the dessert.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
The Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is best enjoyed fresh and warm. However, you can prepare the batter in advance and refrigerate it. When ready to serve, pour the hot coffee and brown sugar mixture over the batter and bake as directed. This way, you can enjoy a freshly baked cake without the hassle of mixing the ingredients at the last minute.
Decadent Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of nonfat milk
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of toasted pecan halves
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of hot strong coffee
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate glass measuring cup, combine the milk, lightly beaten egg, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Gradually pour this mixture into the well in the center of the dry ingredients, stirring until well combined. Stir in the toasted pecan halves.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the brown sugar into the hot strong coffee.
- Pour this mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, which should take around 25 minutes.
- Let the cake stand for about 10 minutes before serving it hot or warm.