- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for oiling the pan
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 7×11-inch baking pan and set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, 2 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Stir in lemon juice, zest, oil, egg and egg whites, buttermilk and vanilla, stirring after each addition until combined and smooth. Toss blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon flour in a large bowl then gently fold into batter.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside to let cake cool until just warm then cut into squares and serve.