- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4, 4oz breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 cup fat free buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- Combine salt, 1 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1b tsp garlic powder in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and whisk until the salt is completely dissolved and the spices are dispersed in the liquid.
- Cut chicken lengthwise into about 8, 2”wide strips. Add to the marinade and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then set a large wire rack on it. Coat the rack with non-fat cooking spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs, pepper, and the remaining paprika, onion powder and garlic powder in a large shallow dish (a 9-by-13-inch baking dish works well). In a second shallow dish, whisk egg whites and mustard.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and thread onto 8 6 -inch bamboo skewers, dividing evenly. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Place in the breadcrumb mixture one at a time, sprinkle with crumbs to cover and press so the coating adheres to both sides. Gently shake off any excess crumbs and place the skewers on the prepared rack. Lightly mist chicken with a non-fat cooking spray (I like Pam Butter Flavored).
- Bake the chicken, turning halfway through, until golden brown and the juices run clear, about 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)