- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed (optional breast fillets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes in juice (recipe for Homemade Diced Tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, fat-free, low sodium
- 1 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinse
In a large non-stick skillet, add oil, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Add onion to the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.
Return chicken to skillet and add the remaining ingredients. Cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through and quinoa is tender and absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes.
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 294 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 90 mg | Sodium: 145 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 30 g