- 1 pound (~2 large )zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 egg + 1 egg white beaten together
- 1 cup regular bread crumbs, plain
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 (28 oz) jar pasta sauce, I used Classico Tomato Basil or your favorite
- 1 (15 oz) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and coat with olive oil or canola oil cooking spray.
2. Slice zucchini lengthwise in slices a little more than ¼ inch thick. On a plate, toss together, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add egg and egg white to shallow dish. Mix together. Dip the zucchini slices in the eggs and then in bread crumbs. Place the breaded slices on the baking sheet, Coat the top of the zucchini with olive oil spray. Bake in oven 15 minutes on each side or just until the bread crumbs are lightly browned.
3. Coat a 9-inch, square baking pan with cooking spray. In pan, place one layer of zucchini on bottom of dish. Add ½ of ricotta cheese on top of all zucchini slices. Spoon ½ of tomato sauce on top of entire layer. Repeat layering process once more. Sprinkle top of casserole with mozzarella cheese.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let set. Once set, cut into 6 slices.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 1 slice.