Makes : 8 servings
Prep : 25 mins
Slow Cook 8 hrs to 10 hrs low-heat setting
- 1 2 1/2 – 3 – pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped kosher-style dill pickle
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/3 cup German-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth
- Hot cooked noodles or cooked spaetzle
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet brown the meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain fat.
- In the slow cooker, combine the carrot, onion, celery and pickle. Place the meat on top of vegetables. In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup red wine, the mustard, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Pour over meat and vegetables in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat and vegetables from the cooker and place on a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- For gravy: Transfer cooking liquid to a 2-quart saucepan. Skim fat from cooking liquid and discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, stir together flour and the 2 tablespoons wine. Stir into the mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve meat, vegetables and gravy with noodles. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.