Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours 10 mins
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2–14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces curly pasta (fusilli)
- Ricotta and mozzarella cheeses for topping
In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients except pasta and cheeses. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6.
In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add in pasta.
When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Spoon soup into oven-proof bowls. Top each bowl with a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkling of mozzarella. Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is hot and melted.