- 2 sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 (32 ounce) containers chicken broth
- 3 (1 pound) packages collard greens, trimmed
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
Combine onions, ham hocks, and garlic in a stockpot; add chicken broth. Cook mixture over medium heat until meat is falling off the bone, about 2 hours.
Stir collard greens, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper into the broth mixture; cook until greens have reached desired tenderness, about 2 more hours.