Ok, so I have never seen one episode of “The Walking Dead”. However, I am almost certain that if by some chance I would have happened upon the casting directors for that show this week, I would have been snatched up in a hot second to play their newest zombie. No makeup needed…no voice lessons in zombie noises…nothing. Cast…as is…a zombie who smells of Vicks vapor rub.
I love to cook. I also love to eat, however this week I have been so germ plagued that the last thing I want to do is stand in the kitchen cooking. I mean come on! It’s not even like my stuffed up nose and glass ridden throat will even allow me to actually taste anything anyways?!So what is a gal to do when she has to feed the actual “living” members of her household and can’t afford to order out each night??
Quick stuff…stuff that takes not much skill at all. Maybe, if I am lucky, something that can be recycled into a second meal for the next day! I mean, hey, we all have to do out part to help the environment,right? (ok, a stretch) My son calls this “Awesome”….my daughter called it “More Please”. I called it Spaghetti and Meatball Pie….and a lifesaver. Perfect for using up leftover cooked spaghetti and leftover meatballs, or wonderful made fresh.
In large bowl, combine warmed pasta with egg, butter,garlic, parsley and Parmesan. Add a dash of salt and pepper and place into a buttered deep pie dish to form a crust.
To that, add meatballs evenly across the top. If you aren’t making this from a leftover stash and you want to use frozen meatballs, I would follow the microwave directions for the meatballs before putting them onto the crust. Throwing them on frozen would just add too much more liquid to our dish while it’s baking. Top with sauce, then mozzarella and another good sprinkling of Parmesan. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes.
Out of the oven even my stuffed up nose could smell the buttery garlic spaghetti crust…my tummy was rumbling. I had to let it rest for about 5-10 minutes before cutting to allow everything to set, but then it was on. The kids were so happy with the idea of a noodle crust, that neither one gave their typical groan over leftovers. The hubs was happy, and I was able to relax with a box of tissues instead do chopping and dicing all night….amen to that.
Spaghetti and Meatball Pie
- 1/2 lb. Spaghetti dry weight
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp. Garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1 lb. Meatballs
- 8 oz. Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 12 oz. Spaghetti Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil pasta and drain. If using leftover noodles, reheat.
- Toss warm pasta noodles with butter, eggs, garlic, parsley and parmesan to thoroughly coat.
- Season noodle mixture with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Press spaghetti into a lightly buttered deep dish pie pan.
- Top your noodle crust with meatballs...completely covering the top!
- Ladle sauce over the meatballs then top with shredded mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with a little more parmesan to suit your taste.
- Bake uncovered in oven for about 25 minutes.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving!