- 1 pound of LEAN ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 1/2 cup of finely crushed corn chips
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup of (your favorite) thick and chunky salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup of refried beans
- 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese
In a bowl, mix the ground beef, corn chips, egg, chili powder, cumin, salsa, black pepper and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly and form into an oval on the baking sheet (not in a loaf pan).
In a small bowl, mix the refried beans with 1/4 cup of salsa and frost the top of the uncooked meatloaf with it. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. The last few minutes of baking time, sprinkle the top of the meatloaf with one cup of shredded cheese and return to oven.
To serve, gently slide a thin spatula under the meatloaf to loosen it from the baking pan and lift it (all in one piece) to a nice serving dish.
NOTE: I do not add salt to this recipe because there is plenty of salt in the other ingredients.
NOTE: By baking this on a sheet pan (rather than a loaf pan) the grease will run out onto the pan and not "soak" your meatloaf.You shouldn’t have much "grease" if you use 90% lean ground beef.